WHAT TO WEAR.
In-Home Sessions | Family + Newborn
For sessions at home... come as you are.
- wear casual clothes, t-shirts, jeans, dresses, aprons, pajamas...
- go barefoot
- wear what you would normally wear on a day at home with your family
- co-ordinate color and mix patterns rather than wear the same shirt/match
- wear color... bold colors or pastels, rather than white
- wear clothes that you are comfortable getting on the floor and playing in or snuggling in bed with your kiddos
- wear shoes
- wear any accessories that need to be adjusted frequently
- wear matching outfits or the same shirt in different colors
To view images of successfully styled in-home sessions, click below:
Child Portraiture + Child Storytelling
Let's have fun. Let's play dress-up.
- wear something special
- be on-trend, yet timeless (I have plenty of sources to recommend to create this style).
- try something modern, cool
- accessorize (depending on the outfit... a flower crown, a cab hat, sunglasses, scarf)
- wear clothing that fits as if it were tailored (we like to get longevity out of our child clothing purchases, but for a photo session, outfits should not be big, in fact, a shirt size smaller is usually best)
- pattern and texture are good
- forget to buy shoes that go with the outfit (I have suggestions for where to buy affordable shoes for sessions)
- wear characters or shirts with words or big logos
- buy the same shirt for each child in a different color
- don't have your children wear matching outfits (this is generally a no, co-ordinating is more modern)
- choose white or black, instead a pastel color, navy blue, grey or bold color
- dress your child in clothing or accessories that needs to be adjusted frequently
To view images of successfully styled kids and outfit samples, click below:
Outdoor Sessions | Mom + Dad
Co-ordinate... pattern + texture.
- choose one color that the whole family will wear, then each of you wear one item in that color
- layer (even in summer, wear a lightweight scarf, bow tie, belt, jewelry)
- wear clothing that fits as if it were tailored
- feel good about yourself in what you wear
- consider a pop of color if you are dressing neutral
- make it all about the kids, take time to select things for Mom + Dad
- wear matching outfits
- all wear the same color on top or on bottom, mix it up
To view images of successfully styled outdoor sessions and outfit samples, click below:
WHERE TO SHOP
Zara | The GAP | Mini Boden | Crewcuts | H+M | Nordstrom | Spearmint Love | Tiny Cottons | Fawn Shoppe | Mini Rodini | Blue Pony Vintage | Scandiminis | Dollcake | Tutu du Monde | Well Dressed Wolf | Soor Ploom | Janie + Jack
NEWBORN + BABY
Zara | Spearmint Love | Mini Boden | The Trendy Bunny | Smallable | Fawn Shoppe
BLANKET, SWADDLE, BONNET, TOY
Modern Burlap | Saranoni | Briar Handmade | Fawn + Forest
Anthropologie | Free People | Madewell | JCREW | The GAP | Pink Blush | Rosie Pope | Sundance | Boden | Vineyard Vines | Garnet Hill | Lucky Brand | Three Bird Nest | Ralph Lauren | RL Denim + Supply | Brooks Brothers - Red Fleece
JCREW | Lucky Brand | The GAP | Denim + Flower | Buckle | Ralph Lauren | Brooks Brothers - Red Fleece